Saturday, January 29, 2011

Appreciation

Appreciation. Nice word. It has a few meanings. It means to understand, be grateful and to increase in value. I have some thoughts on this word from the parent's point of view. I appreciate the circumstances of my children. I understand where they live. What they do for an occupation. I know their spouses and children. I would hope they appreciate my life too. The meaning of grateful I think is much misunderstood. It doesn't mean physical renumeration. Parents do things out of love and concern for their children. Payback isn't what we're looking for. A sincere "Thank You' and an appreciation of why we did something is sufficient. Appreciation, though, seems to have a very short memory.  Forgotten are the things done in the past. I, too, am guilty. I used to forget what my parents did for me. Only concerned with the recent months arrivals.  I used to lash out without thinking of all they had done and hurt the ones who loved me. Parenthood, it seems to me, doesn't appreciate. Unfortunately, as the child's and the parent's ages become more distant, so does the appreciation of the relationship. The appreciation turns to devaluation. The parent stills appreciates the relationship but the child caught up in their daily lives, doesn't. A blase approach is taken. Feelings only a parent can appreciate.

No comments:

Post a Comment