Tuesday, May 13, 2014

THE EQUALIZER

In my 65 years here on earth I have met all types of people. I've met them all over the world. Young and old, men and women and all races I have known. Many have been truly nice people. People with whom I have spent time socializing and forming friendships. Of course I have met many condescending folk. Many who I think never have had a happy day in their lives. Grumpy and cantankerous is their demeanor everyday. Those who have that snooty attitude. You know, I'm more intelligent than you. I'm in a better societal class than you. I live in a better neighborhood. Well all of these are nice and everyone can have their own little delusional view of their lives. When the equalizer strikes all of that means absolutely nothing. When the equalizer strikes let's see who is begging for someone to help and take care of them. When the equalizer comes in the form of a serious health condition the playing field quickly evens out. Everyone lays on the gurney the same way regardless of any false prestige. False bravado is quickly erased when bad health news arrives. I've been fortunate. I have been healthy with only a few minor problems. I am always aware of the inevitable. I look at my friends and everyday observe  how fragile we are. How easily one can be debilitated. I try never to lose my perspective of who I am and how I treat others. I do know that I too can be visited by the equalizer and you should too.

1 comment:

  1. That's very nice to hear. Chalk it up to resilience to beat back the malaise that sickness can bring to people, both young and old. The spark will really set our body and mind, from when we are ready to stand forth. Medical treatments are only good assists, though some can take our resilience to the next level. Thanks for sharing!

    Earnest Rodgers @ Total T Clinic

    ReplyDelete