Thursday, August 23, 2012

My History

My wife and I watched the opening ceremony of the 2012 Olympics. It incorporated the history of England. It started with the farmers and progressed thought the industrial revolution and into the present. I wondered if many of the younger viewers had and knowledge of any of these events. I have had conversations with people younger than myself and when I make historical references they give me that blank "wtf" look. I have a friend who wants his kids to see the film "Super 8" so they see what toys he played and what life was like when he was growing up. It wasn't until I reached 50 that I could say My History. It takes a number of years to live through  historical events and have them mean something to you. Meaning enough to you that when you relate them to others you'd like to think that they've heard of them. This is why History studied in school means little to students because they have no History.  They have a few handfuls of years spent under their parents wings. I have learned that life can indeed span many years. I am fortunate to have lived more than half a decade. I am fortunate to now appreciate what History is because it lives in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment