Saturday, May 22, 2010

My Uniform

I have never been as lucky as most kids. I grew up in a non sports environment at home. I was the only one interested in sports. I learned everything I know about sports by watching them on Tv. I would figure out the scoring of the sports by trying to keep score at home. There was no one to ask. I wouldn't show my ignorance to my friends by asking them. I remember trying out for a church basketball team in socks because I didn't have sneakers. Didn't make it. I did have a baseball glove, a black one. I loved and cherished it. I would play whiffle ball in the neighborhood and spent countless hours pitching, with that great pink ball, against the A&P supermarket back wall. When I was finally decent enough to try out for Little League team I didn't make that cut because most teams took younger players and not a 12 year old. So I never did get that elusive uniform. High School came and went. A lack of confidence and no support from home nixed any attempt at trying out for a sport. So I have been lucky enough to wear a team's uniform. Yes, even to this day I haven't forgotten.

I think this helps explain to me why maybe I am obsessive about having current Tennis clothes and shoes when I teach and play Tennis. These, are for me, my uniform. My elusive uniform that I was never to earn. Maybe in the next life!

No comments:

Post a Comment