Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Getting Older

Let me start by saying that this is a compilation of my epiphanies that I get when I have time to contemplate. This happens when I bike and when I drive in my car. This isn't meant to be preachy. Just the observations of a man who has had a good life. I know that life is about changes and growing. I think I am a different person who was a kid, teenager, young man, and middle aged. I have tried to take my experiences, think about them and make changes in my life and more importantly in myself. I know people who have haven't changed. Why? I think they haven't reflected on what has transpired in their lives. Perhaps they think they have always been right. I feel sorry for these people. They have missed a part of aging that isn't depressing. The ability to look at things in a new way. Looking at things not with old eyes but clearer ones. Things coming into focus. Not distortion.


Getting Older is an interesting process. It seems we notice the aging of other people rather than our own. I look at other men of similar ages to my own and I ask myself "Do I look like that?". I notice their waistlines, hairlines, chin lines and all the other lines that come with aging. I look in the mirror and I do see similar results of aging on myself. It's funny but you can really feel them when they occur to you. We may pass them off as some other physical phenomenon but it's aging. It can be depressing if you dwell on it. I tend to laugh and say " compared to them, Damm I look good!". If i didn't I would be depressed.

1 comment: